Traffic

Will the Hilton Head bridges close for Hurricane Helene winds? Here’s what officials say

READ MORE


Hurricane Helene

Expected to reach Florida’s Big Bend region late Thursday, the predicted incoming impacts for Hurricane Helene triggered a tropical storm watch for the Lowcountry.

Expand All

The bridges to Hilton Head Island rarely close for hazardous weather, but town officials and the South Carolina Department of Transportation are monitoring Hurricane Helene and potential dangers to drivers as the aggressive Category 2 storm continues toward the Gulf of Mexico on Thursday.

SCDOT has the final say in closing all bridges across the state. As of Thursday morning, there were no bridge closures related to Helene, according to an agency spokesperson.

State officials do not appear to have rigid criteria or specific benchmarks to close a bridge; instead, they “work closely with local emergency management and law enforcement officials” to determine when closures are necessary.

Historically, the Hilton Head bridges have remained open during most major hurricanes and tropical storms, including Debby, Idalia, Ian, Florence and Michael. Even after Hurricane Dorian prompted a mandatory evacuation in 2019, the Cross Island Parkway stayed open — one lane of eastbound traffic was briefly switched to westbound as motorists evacuated the island en masse. About seven hours after the lane reversal, traffic resumed its normal flow.

Thomas Dunn, Hilton Head’s emergency manager, said he could not recall the last time the Cross Island Parkway shut down for a hurricane or tropical storm. In a 2018 winter storm, the Charles E. Fraser Bridge was closed for the bulk of two days due to icy conditions.

Despite a lack of definitive standards for closing bridges, officials have previously indicated conditions that would likely shutter certain spans. The primary factor is wind: If it reaches sustained speeds of 30 mph, the Cross Island Parkway would “typically” be restricted to high-profile traffic such as emergency vehicles, an SCDOT official said last year. If winds exceeded 40 mph, all vehicle traffic would likely be blocked.

At sustained winds above 40 mph, most vehicles used by the Beaufort County Sheriff’s Office — Dodge Chargers and Ford Explorers — are unable to safely cross major bridges.

With a wind field spanning 400 miles, Hurricane Helene could cross those thresholds. Winds driven by the storm could reach between 39 and 57 miles beginning Thursday afternoon in the Lowcountry, with possible gusts up to 61 mph in the evening, according to the latest forecasts from the National Weather Service’s Charleston Office.

This story was originally published September 26, 2024 at 10:47 AM.

Evan McKenna
The Island Packet
Evan is a breaking news reporter for The Island Packet and Beaufort Gazette. A Tennessee native and a graduate of the University of Notre Dame, he reports on crime and safety across Beaufort and Jasper counties. For tips or story ideas, email emckenna@islandpacket.com or call 843-321-8375.
Get unlimited digital access
#ReadLocal

Try 1 month for $1

CLAIM OFFER

Hurricane Helene

Expected to reach Florida’s Big Bend region late Thursday, the predicted incoming impacts for Hurricane Helene triggered a tropical storm watch for the Lowcountry.