Crime & Public Safety

A Bluffton man was asleep as his home filled with smoke. Luckily, neighbors called 911

Best practices for preventing fires at home

Accidental house fires are a serious safety threat. Learn how to cut down your risk by exercising these simple prevention tips.
Up Next
Accidental house fires are a serious safety threat. Learn how to cut down your risk by exercising these simple prevention tips.

Two Bluffton Park residents called 911 early Sunday morning when they noticed something wasn’t right with a neighbor’s home, according to a Bluffton Police Department report.

When officers arrived around 12:30 a.m., they found a man lying on a couch inside the home as it filled with smoke and a “very loud” fire alarm going off, the report said.

After discovering the front door and back door were both locked, an officer kicked open the back door, the report said, and it wasn’t until then that the man woke up wondering what was going on.

He told police he had put something in the stove and fallen asleep so it began to burn.

The oven was turned off and firefighters fanned the smoke out of the home before giving it the “all clear,” the report said.

There was no damage to the home besides a split in the door frame from the officer gaining entry, according to the report.

Related stories from Hilton Head Island Packet

Lana Ferguson has covered crime, police, and other news for The Island Packet & Beaufort Gazette since June 2018. Before coming to the Lowcountry, she worked for publications in her home state of Virginia and graduated from the University of Mississippi, where she was editor of the college newspaper.


Support my work with a digital subscription

SUBSCRIBE TODAY
  Comments