Here is a list of some local Memorial Day events:
- A Memorial Day service is at 3 p.m. May 29 at Grace Chapel AME Church on Charles Street. Following the service, the group will visit Henry C. Chambers Waterfront Park and throw flowers in the water in memory of those lost at sea.
- Beaufort’s annual Memorial Day Parade starts at 10 a.m. May 30 at the corner of Boundary and Rodgers streets and will continue through Carteret, Bay and Bladen streets. A service will follow at noon in Beaufort National Cemetery.
- Bluffton's American Legion Post 205 is holding a Memorial Day celebration at 11 a.m. on May 30 at the Bluffton Police Department headquarters, 101 Progressive St. Rev. Jon Black of Campbell AME Church, Bluffton Township Fire District Chief John Thompson and American Legion members will speak at the event. A program for the celebration is available on the post’s website at www.alpost205.com.
Hilton Head Island:
- The Hilton Head Island Council of the Navy League of the United States is holding a Memorial Day event from 10 a.m. 12:30 a.m. on May 30 at the Veteran’s Memorial next to Shelter Cove Community Park. Capt. Todd Lacey, commanding officer of the NROTC at Savannah State University, will speak, and Mayor David Bennett will issue a proclamation designating Memorial Day on Hilton Head a Day of Remembrance for all local citizens who died defending freedom.
- HarbourFest, Hilton Head’s annual summer long celebration, kicks off May 28 and May 29 with performances by family entertainer Shannon Tanner. Tanner will perform at 7 and 8:30 p.m. Saturday and Sunday, at Shelter Cove Harbour and Marina. Beginning Memorial Day, Tanner will play 7 and 8:30 p.m. shows Monday through Friday through Sept. 3. HarbourFest fireworks, weather permitting, will return at 9:30 p.m. on Tuesdays beginning June 14. The festival also will feature nightly activities for kids including Cappy the Clown, arts and crafts and other activities.
- The Hilton Head Choral Society is holding a Memorial Day weekend concert called “An American Celebration” with the Parris Island Marine Band. The concert is at 7 p.m. on May 29 at First Presbyterian Church, 540 William Hilton Pkwy. The concert is sold out — tickets were free, but had to be reserved in advance online at www.hiltonheadchoralsociety.org. For details, call 843-341-3818.