Hurricane

Sea Pines beachgoers will probably see this next week

Sand fences have been erected in an attempt to keep a bulldozed berm of sand in place in front of this oceanfront home photographed on Friday along Hilton Head Island’s South Beach near beach emergency call marker 23. The home is one of several that were left hanging over the edge of the surf after Hurricane Matthew eroded away the beach last October. This home is near the center of the South Island Emergency Beach Fill, which will replace the sand washed away by the hurricane and is expected to begin on Aug. 27.
Sand fences have been erected in an attempt to keep a bulldozed berm of sand in place in front of this oceanfront home photographed on Friday along Hilton Head Island’s South Beach near beach emergency call marker 23. The home is one of several that were left hanging over the edge of the surf after Hurricane Matthew eroded away the beach last October. This home is near the center of the South Island Emergency Beach Fill, which will replace the sand washed away by the hurricane and is expected to begin on Aug. 27. jkarr@islandpacket.com

Sea Pines beachgoers will likely see sand-pumping equipment on the beach starting next week.

On Tuesday, Marinex Construction will begin bringing in pipeline and other equipment on a barge in the South Beach area, according to a release. As part of town’s South Island Emergency Beach Fill project, about 300,000 cubic yards of sand will be pumped in along about 12,000 feet of Atlantic shorefront.

The $3.8 million project will be similar to the island’s 2016 beach renourishment project, which involved replacing lost sand and re-establishing dunes, Scott Liggett, the town’s chief engineer and director of public projects and facilities, said previously.

Marinex Construction plans to place a submerged pipeline landing around beach marker 19, near Green Winged Teal Street. Once all the pipeline is in place, beach work will be completed in two phases, the release said.

The first phase is expected to occur in late August and early September, and will involve pumping sand from the pipeline landing to around beach marker 12, by Brown Pelican Street. The second phase is scheduled to occur around early September and early October, and will pump sand to around beach marker 34, by East Beach Lagoon Drive.

Once work begins, it’s expected to move along the shore at a rate of up to 500 feet per day. About 1,000 feet of beach access will be restricted each day, according to the release.

Schedule updates will be available on the town’s website. Weather and mechanical capabilities could impact the schedule, the release said.

Alex Kincaid: 843-706-8123, @alexkincaid22

This story was originally published August 10, 2017 at 3:47 PM with the headline "Sea Pines beachgoers will probably see this next week."

Get unlimited digital access
#ReadLocal

Try 1 month for $1

CLAIM OFFER