The South Carolina High School League is adjusting its high school football postseason schedule because of last week's flooding throughout the state.
SCHSL commissioner Jerome Singleton announced Tuesday the start of the football playoffs will be moved back a week, as will the state championship games. It is the first time since Hurricane Hugo in 1989 that the state football playoffs have been moved back a week.
The Class 1-A, 2-A and 3-A playoffs will begin Nov. 13 and 4-A playoffs Nov. 20. With the move, the Class 1-A state championships will be Dec. 4 and 2-A on Dec. 5. The Class 3-A and 4-A state championships are the following weekend, Dec. 12.
"We could have made a decision at the beginning, but I don't think that would have been the answer," Singleton said. "But at the point we are to today, we think this creates stability and a basic understanding."
Some argued the plan should have come sooner and Singleton said he was aware of the criticism on social media last week. But complications arose with the severity of the flooding in some areas, and some schools still are not back in school or practicing.
Some teams were faced with the possibility of playing three games in nine days, and Singleton said that isn't safe.
Singleton said the championships will be held at the original venues with Class 1-A and 2-A at Benedict and 3-A and 4-A at Williams-Brice Stadium -- providing there are no scheduling conflicts.
The move of the postseason creates a conflict with the Touchstone Energy North-South All-Star game, which will be held Dec. 13 in Myrtle Beach, the same day as the Class 3-A and 4-A state championships. Singleton said he will talk to S.C. Executive coaches' director Shell Dula about any adjustments to be made to the rosters, which won't be released until Oct. 26.
The SCHSL also announced the girls tennis and volleyball playoffs also will be moved back a week, with the volleyball championships set for Nov. 14 at White Knoll and the tennis championships the same day at the Cayce Tennis and Fitness center.