Beaufort and Jasper county high schools continue to remake their football schedules after rain and flooding forced most Week 6 games to be postponed first Friday and again Monday.
Berkeley, Charleston and Dorchester counties all closed school for Tuesday guaranteeing their teams would not play until at least Wednesday.
Here are Monday’s developments:
• Battery Creek’s game at Garrett has been rescheduled to 6:30 p.m. Wednesday.
Sign Up and Save
Get six months of free digital access to The Island Packet
• Beaufort’s game at Berkeley has been rescheduled for 7 p.m. Wednesday.
• Bluffton’s home game against Wando has been rescheduled to 6:30 p.m. Wednesday.
• Hilton Head Island postponed it’s home game with Hanahan again but didn’t set a date. Seahawks athletics director Joe Monmonier said a concrete decision would be reached by 1 p.m. Tuesday. The game had been scheduled for 7 p.m. Tuesday.
• Ridgeland-Hardeeville’s home game with Silver Bluff has been postponed and rescheduled for 6 p.m. Oct. 26.
• Whale Branch’s game at Bishop England has been rescheduled to 6:30 p.m. Wednesday.
• John Paul II’s home game against Ridge Christian has been canceled.
• Hilton Head Christian’s home game against Palmetto Christian has been canceled. Eagles’ athletics director Kenny Conroy said the game could still be rescheduled because of playoff implications, but as of right now, “we’re not finding a solution that’s working.”
If there is no make-up date scheduled and the game carries playoff implications, Palmetto Christian might be forced to come to Hilton Head to play an overtime format to determine a winner, meaning Palmetto Christian could make the drive for one possession of football.
Also, the game was HHCA’s homecoming. Conroy said the administration is working out details related to those activities.
• In several cases, the delays have affected Week 7. In order to have an adequate break between games, Hilton Head Island's Friday game at Berkeley has been postponed until 6 p.m. Saturday, while Battery Creek’s game at Bishop England will be played at 6:30 p.m. Monday.
Beaufort head coach Mark Clifford said it was likely the Eagles would play Saturday, as well, but nothing is set in stone, as of yet.
Tammie Newman, public relations director of the S.C. High School League, issued a release Monday detailing the guidelines athletics directors are using when working to reschedule their Week 6 games.
The games of Oct. 2 can be made up as late as Wednesday, and this week’s games can be moved to Saturday or Monday. Hopefully, after that, next week’s games can proceed normally.
There must be a minimum of two days between games.
“None of these suggestions are ideal, and once again,” Newman said in the release, “player safety is to be considered first and foremost when rescheduling games.”
If schools cannot agree to the arrangements for rescheduling a game, the schools and the SCHSL will discuss the situation. The region may have to decide what impact a non-played game will have on playoffs if two schools cannot agree on rescheduling.
Beaufort Academy at Charleston Collegiate, 6 p.m.
Battery Creek at Garrett, 6:30 p.m.
Beaufort at Berkeley, 7 p.m.
Hanahan at Hilton Head Island, 7 p.m.
Wando at Bluffton, 6:30 p.m.
Whale Branch at Bishop England, 6:30 p.m.
Hilton Head Christian at Christian Academy, 7:30 p.m.
North Charleston at Whale Branch, 7 p.m.
St. John's Christian at Beaufort Academy, 4:30 p.m.
Stall at Beaufort, 7:30 p.m.
Thomas Heyward Academy at Hilton Head Prep, 4:30 p.m.
Woodland at Ridgeland-Hardeeville, 7:30 p.m.
Hilton Head at Berkeley, 6 p.m.
Bishop England at Battery Creek, 6:30 p.m.