5 things to do to prep for a hurricane
Editor’s note: In a press conference Tuesday morning, South Carolina Gov. Henry McMaster lifted the mandatory evacuation for Beaufort, Jasper and Colleton counties. To read more, click here.
Update: Friday, 2:00 p.m.:
Now that the mandatory evacuation has been lifted, here’s where a few major hospitals in the areas stand on reopening:
Hilton Head Hospital
Spokeswoman Daisy Burroughs said that the hospital will resume normal operations at 7:00 a.m. Wednesday, with all previously scheduled procedures continuing as planned. Patients may also reschedule procedures canceled due to the closure.
Coastal Carolina Hospital
The hospital has reopened and is fully operational, according to Dominic Romanelli, the hospital’s supervisor. Furthermore, Burroughs said that, like Hilton Head Hospital, Coastal Carolina Hospital will resume offering all services at 7:00 a.m. Wednesday.
Beaufort Memorial Hospital
The hospital is fully operational and all fees on virtual visits have been waived through Sept. 26.
Despite a mandatory evacuation for Beaufort and Jasper counties ahead of Hurricane Florence, some hospitals will remain open on a limited basis, according to multiple news releases.
Hilton Head Hospital has been granted a waiver to remain open on the island and keep emergency room services going, according to a newsletter from Hilton Head Mayor David Bennett.
Hilton Head Regional Healthcare’s Facebook and Twitter pages say the hospital is only accepting emergency patients. Outpatient services have been canceled.
Beaufort Memorial Hospital received an exemption from the evacuation order, according to a news release. The hospital will remain open for emergencies only.
- The emergency room will remain open, and emergency OB services will be available.
- “Elective surgical cases” at the hospital and Beaufort Memorial Surgery Center are canceled through Friday, or until further notice.
- Radiation therapy, chemotherapy and infusion services are suspended from noon on Tuesday through Friday.
- Elective outpatient services will be closed from noon on Tuesday through Friday.
- Beaufort Memorial Physician practices will close at noon Tuesday and will remain closed through Friday.
St. Joseph’s/Candler will be closing all practices in South Carolina until Wednesday. Here is a full list of the closures.
- Hilton Head/Bluffton Radiation Oncology Center
- St. Joseph’s/Candler-SC Cancer Specialists at the Hilton Head and Okatie locations
- Center for Hyperbarics and Wound Care
- St. Joseph’s/Candler Medical Group at the Bluffton, Hilton Head and Ridgeland locations
- Specialist Offices at Belfair Towne Village
- The Center for Medication Management in Bluffton and Hilton Head
- The Imaging Center at Belfair Towne Village East
Hilton Head’s Volunteers in Medicine is closing its medical and dental clinics after noon on Tuesday, according to a news release. They will remain closed until further notice.
A spokesperson for Coastal Carolina Hospital did not return a call seeking comment.