Groups offer help in obtaining government-issued ID

American Legion Post 49 and the Military Officers Association of America of Hilton Head Island will provide transportation for any island resident to the S.C. Department of Motor Vehicles in Bluffton to obtain government issued photo ID. The ID is required to register and vote in the upcoming primary and presidential elections.

Those interested in the ride should call First Presbyterian Church of Hilton Head at 843-681-3696 and provide their name, address, and phone number. First Presbyterian Church will then contact American Legion Post 49 and the association.

According to the SC Department of Motor Vehicles:

"Residents need to bring proof of U.S. Citizenship/Identity and Date of Birth (most commonly a birth certificate or a passport), their Social Security card or proof of their SS number, and proof of residence (utility bills, bank statements, etc.)  A detailed listing of acceptable documents is available on the DMV website at http://www.scdmvonline.com/DMVNew/forms.aspx on form MV-93.

"The ID card is free to residents 18 years and older.  Residents may have an ID card or a driver’s license, but not both."