Crime & Public Safety

Couple in Bluffton Promenade road-rage incident facing assault charges, lawsuit

A Lady's Island attorney representing a couple involved in a September road rage incident in the Bluffton Promenade said both are still facing charges from the altercation and have requested a jury trial in municipal court.

Despite reports from the Bluffton Police Department that only the woman was charged in the Sept. 5 incident, Lady's Island attorney Jeffrey Stephens said the couple both face misdemeanor assault and battery charges. Both requested a jury trial during a hearing in Bluffton Municipal Court on Tuesday, he said.

An assault charge against another woman involved in the incident was dismissed last month. That woman said she was attacked by the man and woman who had accused her of speeding, leading to a violent encounter at the Bluffton Promenade. The pair confronted her in a parking lot as she walked to a nearby restaurant for work that day. She said the pair also accused her of nearly hitting their children with her car.

The exchange of blows was caught on camera by a resident who turned it over to police.

A police spokesman announced Sept. 17 all three involved in the incident would be charged with assault because of conflicting accounts of the incident. Police later stated that only the two women were facing charges, but Stephens said that was incorrect. Beaufort County court records confirm the couple still faces assault charges.

On Monday, the woman who accused the couple of attacking her filed a lawsuit against them in Beaufort County Common Pleas, according to court records.

Stephens said his clients were served the lawsuit while they waited to enter court Tuesday.

Follow reporter Matt McNab at twitter.com/IPBG_Matt.

Related content:

  Comments