Slaying shocks visitors, business owners near Coligny
Gladys Bell was walking home from work Sunday night when she heard a crack.
"I thought it was a firework left over from the Fourth of July," said Bell, who works in a booth at Coligny Plaza.
What Bell heard was the gunshot at Coligny Beach Park that killed 17-year old Dominique Williams.
As police searched Monday for his killer, Coligny area shop owners, public officials and out-of-towners reacted to the homicide with shock and confusion, wondering how a dispute between two teenagers could escalate into a deadly shooting near hundreds of Hilton Head Island beachgoers.
Many were stunned to hear about such a brazen attack in an area known as a popular spot for vacationing families.
"It's always incredibly sad and tragic to hear about a loss of life, particularly when we're talking about kids," said Councilwoman Kim Likins, who represents part of the Coligny area. "To see it happening at the height of tourism season, that's even more alarming."
Several shop owners said the killing reflects a need for more police patrols in Coligny, whose population swells with beachgoers in the summer months.
Along with families, the beach park is a hang out for teenagers, who sit on benches near the water fountain and use free wi-fi to Snapchat on their phones or surf the Internet, according to several shop owners.
"I don't care if it's a bake sale or an antique car show, when you have that many people you need an increased police presence," said Jack Daly, owner of the Frozen Moo in Coligny Plaza.
Business owners pointed to a Memorial Day fight at the beach -- 60 to 100 teenagers brawled, according to a Beaufort County Sheriff's Office report -- as evidence of a growing safety issue.
"If you have that many people shoved into such a small area, there's going to be problems," said David Martin, who owns Piggly Wiggly in Coligny Plaza.
'A RARITY'
Still, shop owners emphasized the shooting was an isolated incident.
In fact, it's the first homicide ever near Coligny beach, according to the sheriff's office.
Most owners said they don't think the killing will deter tourists, especially because the attack was not random and did not involve a vacationer.
"If it was a tourist (killed), that would be worse than 10 shark attacks for the island," Daly said.
Rick Cosino thought there had been a shark attack when police cars sped by him Sunday night.
"I was stunned to find out someone got shot," said the Cleveland resident who has visited Hilton Head for almost ten years. "It happens sometimes where I'm from, but I've never heard about it on Hilton Head."
Cosino, who is staying at the Breakers, said the shooting won't sway him from coming back.
"It's a rarity," he said. "Bad things can happen in good places."
Investigators say the shooting happened about 8:20 p.m. Sunday.
By Monday morning, there were no signs of a crime scene.
Bicyclers zoomed past the site, while beachgoers toted towels and chairs on their way to the sand.
"You have people walking around here and the night before somebody was laid out dead," Bell said.
"It's not something you're used to seeing on Hilton Head."
Follow reporter Dan Burley on Twitter at twitter.com/IPBG_Dan.
Related content:
- Update: Sheriff's Office: Weekend fight led to fatal Coligny shooting; tourists react , July 20, 2015
This story was originally published July 20, 2015 at 12:03 PM with the headline "Slaying shocks visitors, business owners near Coligny."