Beaufort News

School board, meeting attendees decry ‘sexist’ comments to empty chair

Paul Roth was not there to hear it Tuesday night, but his peers and several members of the public had some choice words about the incumbent school board member.

The Beaufort County school board voted unanimously at the end of Tuesday’s meeting to censure — or formally state disapproval of — Roth for his recent comments about another board member’s appearance during an interview on Friday, calling her a “hot chick,” as well as his assertions that some of his peers are “screw ups” and that his board experience eclipses any other’s.

They did so to an empty seat, as Roth left the Bluffton public library before the public session of the meeting began at 6 p.m. Board chair Mary Cordray was also absent.

“I’m sad that he left, to tell you the truth,” said David Striebinger, who prompted the board to censure Roth. “He should have been here, because I wanted to look him in the eye when I made the motion. I think it’s important he knows the whole board is going to look him in the eye.”

Three residents also denounced the Okatie representative for his brazen comments and said he violated the board’s Code of Conduct.

One frequent speaker said Roth, who is running for re-election in November after four years on the board, left rather than “face the music.”

“Do you or do you not agree with the statements of this board member?” asked Richard Bisi, co-founder of Citizens Advocating Responsible Education. “... Your silence will be taken as approval of his comments.”

Vice chair Laura Bush, who led the meeting in Cordray’s absence, did not respond to Bisi. However, the resident said he felt gratified that the board later stated its public disapproval of Roth’s words.

Bisi also questioned Roth’s competency.

According to administrative assistant Robyn Cushingberry, Roth recently asked the board to change its record of a vote after he said he made a mistake.

On May 31, during a special board meeting, Roth accidentally voted against the district’s capital projects list for its proposed 1 percent sales tax, an initiative he wholeheartedly supports.

Cushingberry said the record of the vote will not change.

“Shame on him,” Bisi said of the request. “Robert’s Rule of Order do not allow board members to change their vote after a meeting is concluded, and this is the self-proclaimed expert on meeting protocol.”

No one has filed to run against Roth in the November general election, nor against southern Hilton Head Island representative JoAnn Orischak, the subject of Roth’s comments during an interview last week.

In the same discussion with a reporter, Roth said, “If she was 50 pounds heavier, and she had a big wart on her nose, I don’t think people would react to her the same way. Let’s say it that way.”

In addition to Bisi’s group, CARE, the Greater Bluffton Republican Club responded to Roth’s comments by calling for candidates to oppose him, saying, “We all deserve better representation than this.”

The public speakers on Tuesday focused much of their frustration on the board before their vote to censure Roth. Rebecca Bass, also of CARE, noted that one board member seemed to laugh as she spoke. Another, Richard Cambria, said he’s grown used to getting his responses in “rolling of the eyes, pushing of chairs away from the dais, texting or a low grumble.”

“I have to give you money when you do not give me answers,” Cambria said. “I know of no other organization in this country that opperates with such arrogance.”

Attempts to reach Roth by phone and email were unsuccessful Tuesday evening.

Roth, of District 6, and Orischak, of District 11, are two of four board members whose seats are up for re-election. A third, Earl Campbell of District 1 in the Gray’s Hill and Lobeco area, has a potential challenger in Caleb Brown, who filed to run on Monday.

The District 9 seat, held by retiring Bluffton representative Laura Bush, is currently a race between three people — Christopher Epps, Bill Fletcher and Bridgette Frazier.

Rebecca Lurye: 843-706-8155, @IPBG_Rebecca

This story was originally published June 21, 2016 at 8:45 PM with the headline "School board, meeting attendees decry ‘sexist’ comments to empty chair."

Get unlimited digital access
#ReadLocal

Try 1 month for $1

CLAIM OFFER