Beaufort unveils plan to blunt impact of Waterfront Park promenade closure
For nine long months, an ugly chain-link fence has blocked residents and tourists from one of Beaufort’s most prominent amenities — the promenade along the Beaufort River.
The closure is a thorn in the side of downtown business owners who rely on sales from 400,000 annual visitors to the park, making it a key contributor to the area’s $140 million tourism economy.
The city is trying to ease the pain with two major projects. One is meant to bring some of the pretty back to pretty Beaufort by the sea, the historic coastal city’s nickname. The other will restore access to a key dock once used by boaters to visit downtown via the river.
Park access and appearance took a hit the week before July 4, when the city quickly put up the fence to keep the public from accessing its promenade and its benches. At that time, it was known that the “relieving” platform supporting that area of Waterfront Park needed replacing, and cruise ships already had been banned from docking.
The underwater concrete pilings supporting the platform are crumbling with age and saltwater corrosion. But an updated report found that the pilings were “overstressed,” prompting the city to immediately erect the metal fencing to block foot traffic as well.
The fencing didn’t just block access to the promenade, it prevented boats from using the popular day dock and visiting downtown via the water.
The 40-foot wide promenade, which stretches from the city’s marina nearly to Woods Memorial Bridge, won’t reopen until the city replaces the compromised underwater infrastructure. That could take years.
As residents and downtown businesses eagerly await the big fix, two small fixes are in the works that might make the wait a little easier to bear.
A prettier fence
First, the city is planning to get rid of the wire fencing it put up last year, which has been criticized as ugly.
“We’ve gotten feedback from the convention and visitor’s bureau and other visitors that have found the chain-link fencing unsightly and there seems to be a desire/demand for something more aesthetically appealing,” City Manager Scott Marshall said.
The chain-link fence will be replaced with a commercial grade, 4-ft. high aluminum fencing that is black, Marshall says.
The new fencing is expected to arrive this week, Marshall said, with installation beginning next week. The cost is $27,660.
Swings are being installed, so visitors can sit and enjoy the view of the river again.
The cost
The Freedman Arts District, a nonprofit that promotes the arts in downtown neighborhoods, previously offered to donate and install what Dick Stewart, a representative of the group, said was a high-quality fence for $50,000. Stewart told the City Council in February, when he made the offer publicly, that there would be no strings attached.
Stewart recounted an anecdote to highlight the visual importance of the park to visitors and businesses who rely on tourists. A visitor to The Arsenal on Craven Street, headquarters of The Greater Beaufort-Port Royal Convention & Visitors Bureau, was heard to say that, “Beaufort was broken” before departing for Savannah with his family.
“The Beaufort is broken refrain is a problem,” Stewart said, “because Waterfront Park appears to be broken.”
Marshall said Tuesday the city was grateful for that offer but declined it. The only way the city could have accepted the $50,000 was as a donation, he said. The city, Marshall added, would have had to order and install the fence on its own, Marshall said.
Restoring access to the day dock
The city is taking steps to modify the floating day dock to restore access and relieve pressure it is causing to the promenade.
Earlier this month, the city requested proposals for work on the day dock gangway. The work is twofold; first, the pressure that the current gangway is causing on the promenade needs to be relieved. Second, a gangway is needed that spans the promenade, so people can walk to and from the dock without using the boardwalk. One of the gangways is 75 ft. long, the other 45.
The work is expected to be finished by June 1, before the July 17 start of the Water Festival.