A shuttered Lady's Island golf course has reopened after extensive renovations that were needed following foreclosure and years of abandonment.
The Golf Course at Pleasant Point closed in 2006 for renovations. Epiphany Partners of Savannah, which then managed the course, planned to make the club private, but it never reopened.
Instead, the lender foreclosed in 2008, according to Beaufort County court records.
The Pleasant Point Property Owner's Association bought the Russell Breeden-designed course at 8 Barnwell Drive, along with the clubhouse and tennis courts, for $1.15 million in 2009.
Digital Access for only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
Residents Joe Walters and Herman Gaither are leasing the course from the association and opened it for play in June after about a year of working to "bring it back to life," Walters said. Tall grass, thick weeds and small trees were taking over the course.
"It was a lot of money," he said, "a lot of sweat, a lot of tears."
Players are already finding their way back, Walters said, adding that he enjoys hearing stories from those who played there before.
"You wouldn't believe the people who walk in and say, 'I love this course. I grew up on this course,'" he said.
The 18-hole course is open seven days a week and has membership and daily-fee options.
Information: tgcppp.com, 843-986-9432
In other changes about town:
- Pizza Hut is opening on Lady's Island this month, in addition to its restaurant at 1281 Ribaut Road. The new store will be in the Food Lion center on Sams Point Way.
- Divine Shoes, is "hanging it up" and closing, according to signs in the store's windows. The shoe store has been at 223 Scott St. in Beaufort for seven years. Information: 843-524-4300, Divine Shoe's Facebook page
- Monkey's Uncle, a children's toys and books store, is opening at 808 Bay St. in Beaufort. The space had been occupied by Antiques and Such, which recently moved next door to 802 Bay St. Information: 843-524-6868, monkeysuncletoys.com/home
- Pleasant Point residents buy golf course, Jan. 3, 2010
- Golf course management company fined for damaging Lady's Island bird nest, March 30, 2013
- Pleasant Point hopes end of deer season brings an end illegal hunting on closed golf course, Jan. 28, 2010