How will the government shutdown impact air travel in Savannah and Hilton Head?
Airports in Savannah and Hilton Head Island have not seen any disruptions this week since the federal government shut down Oct. 1.
Transportation Security Administration and air traffic control staff are expected to continue working without pay throughout the shutdown, according to the federal homeland security and transportation departments. Nationally, about 13,000 air traffic controllers and 61,000 TSA employees are expected to report to work without pay, according to the federal government.
During the last government shutdown in December 2018 and January 2019, TSA workers occasionally started calling in sick more often, said Lori Lynah, senior director of marketing and air service development for the Savannah/Hilton Head International Airport. So far, however, there have been no disruptions.
“Last time, it was 35 days and even then it wasn’t like every day there were problems. Every now and then on a random shift you might have some longer lines, but that’s all it was,” Lynah said. “We’re hopeful that this one doesn’t last as long.”
Existing airport projects that have federal funding are also expected to continue without disruption, Lynah said, because funds have already been allocated. The airport, which served 4.1 million passengers last year, is currently expanding its terminal to add four new gates.
Airlines for America, the trade association for major U.S. airlines like Southwest Airlines, American Airlines, Delta Air Lines and United, said the aviation system may need to slow down in order to maintain its current safety standards.
“When federal employees who manage air traffic, inspect aircraft and secure our nation’s aviation system are furloughed or working without pay, the entire industry and millions of Americans feel the strain,” the association said in a statement. “We appreciate the men and women who will be going to work, despite not receiving a paycheck, to ensure the safety and security of the traveling and shipping public.”
Jon Rembold, director of Beaufort County airports, said things at the Hilton Head Island Airport are running smoothly. The airport is in the middle of a project that will increase its footprint from 20,000 square feet to roughly 67,000 by next year.
Rembold said he himself flew on Thursday after the shutdown started and had no issues at all. TSA is still fully functioning, he said. Agents are working without pay, but Rembold said the airport is trying to find ways to let workers know they’re appreciated.
“We reached out to the chamber of commerce to see if local businesses would provide some support to TSA officers. We were successful, and so far we have the SERG Group who stepped up, and they’re providing lunch for TSA employees for the next several days,” Rembold said Friday. “We will continue to reach out to see if local businesses can continue to support.”
The federal government shut down on Wednesday after Democrats and Republicans failed to come to an agreement over funding.