Annual Salute from the Shore sky parade turns before reaching Hilton Head. Here’s why
This year’s Salute from the Shore, during which military jets fly along the South Carolina coastline, was cut short before it reached Hilton Head on Tuesday.
A post on the nonprofit’s Instagram page said pop-up thunderstorms forced a route change.
“We are happy to report that all pilots are home safe after encountering dangerous weather south of Folly Beach. Each salute is unique and we are grateful for the pilots and crew who worked today to make it possible,” the post reads.
Salute from the Shore is in its 14th year.
Beachgoers wearing red, white and blue typically cheer and wave American flags for the tribute to veterans and those currently serving in the United States military.
“Some years the weather cooperates, and some years it doesn’t,” said Jill Armbruster, president of the Salute from the Shore organization, on Wednesday morning.
“We love that beachgoers have come to expect it each year, but Mother Nature is always a variable,” she said. ”Our pilots’ safety will always be our top priority.”
The flyover included two F-16s from Shaw Air Force Base and a C-17 from Joint Base Charleston.
The planes started around 1 p.m. in Cherry Grove and had been scheduled to reach Hilton Head and then Beaufort around 1:30 p.m.
This story was originally published July 4, 2023 at 3:29 PM.