Letters to the Editor

Start with deductible to fix broken Medicare

Much heat and very little light has been shed on Medicare and its inadequacies.

The morass of complexities confounds me; one can't sell something for less than it costs. The program is broke and is going to get "broker."

One possible solution would be to raise the annual deductible to $1,000. The present deductible is silly and not worth the time it takes to do the paperwork.

If 50 million people are covered, that's $50 billion a year. No small amount, and it's tax deductible.

The mechanics of doing this are not rocket science, and I would guess about 80 percent of those covered can afford it. The answer for the other 20 percent can be easily handled.

George Carmody

Hilton Head Island

  Comments