The facts and figures that support the Interstate 95 camera system were presented by Ridgeland's mayor at a recent meeting. These were documented facts, and I've never seen them reported in the Packet. Shouldn't both sides be reported?
Now state Sen. Tom Davis favors banning the camera system. I would have expected a fellow Republican to err on the side of personal responsibility. Signs are posted to warn motorists of the camera system. If they choose to speed anyway (more than 80 mph), they deserve to get a ticket.
The camera system on I-95 is manned by a police officer who witnesses and documents the speeders and initiates the tickets. When dangerously excessive speeding is witnessed (more than 90 mph), troopers are alerted up ahead, and that driver may be stopped before he or she has the chance to kill someone. It is a super-efficient way to monitor speeding and maintain public safety.
This system is not the cash cow that some contend. The state takes 63 percent of every traffic fine collected. The other 37 percent is split between Ridgeland and the company maintaining the equipment. The system pays for itself and offsets Ridgeland's cost of manning the miles of highway in its jurisdiction.
Automated traffic enforcement is already in use in more than 500 cities around the country. Comprehensive studies show that accidents, injuries and fatalities are reduced when this system is used. It saves lives. It saves money. It's common sense.
Sun City Hilton Head