Do I still get paid during the mandatory evacuation?

This is a common concern among Beaufort County’s working residents: What is my paycheck going to look like for this past week?

South Carolina Department of Employment and Workforce Director Bob Bouyea said pay during an evacuation is a question for individual companies’ Human Resources departments or managers.

If, however, someone lost a job or is unable to work as a direct result of Hurricane Matthew, that person can apply for Unemployment Insurance benefits, Bouyea said.

If there is a declaration of disaster for individual assistance, a person in the same situation who was not deemed eligible for the state unemployment insurance may apply for Disaster Unemployment Assistance, funded by FEMA and the U.S. Department of Labor, Bouyea said. Self-employed individuals and business owners who lost income as a direct result of Hurricane Matthew can also apply for this assistance, he said.

The storm was declared a disaster, but only for public assistance at this point. If the individual assistance should be declared, DEW’s website will have a page dedicated specifically to DUA. An individual can only be eligible for one or the other type of assistance, Bouyea said.

To apply for unemployment insurance, visit and click on “My Benefits” in the top right corner or call 1-866-831-1724.

Joan McDonough: 843-706-8125, @IPBG_Joan