“Patience” is again the keyword of the day. While nearby counties have lifted their evacuation orders, Beaufort County residents are still being told to stay put Sunday.
▪ 2:22 p.m.: We are putting together a story right now that explains how re-entry will work. In the meantime, please read our updated main story for details:
▪ 12:53 p.m.: Beaufort County officials and emergency personnel said in a press conference Sunday that there is no timeframe set right now for re-entry into the county.
▪ 11:15 a.m.: Gov. Nikki Haley held a press conference at 10 a.m. and discussed the re-entry process. Read about that here.
▪ 10:35 a.m.: Beaufort County officials are meeting at noon today to discuss re-entry. We will post updates about that here on this story, on our homepage, and on the Packet’s Facebook page or the Gazette’s Facebook page.
▪ 8 a.m.: Hilton Head Island Mayor David Bennett posted an update on the island’s recovery progress on Facebook late Saturday night. The main focus for re-entry is getting the hospital operational. Bennett said he will speak with other county officials “to size up what exactly remains to be done before our citizens can return to their homes.”
▪ 8 a.m.: Beaufort Councilman Stephen Murray posted on his Facebook page late Saturday: “I know it's frustrating, but please have patience and know dozens, if not hundreds of folks are working around the clock to reopen our special hometown as soon as possible.”
▪ 8 a.m.: Bluffton Mayor Lisa Sulka also posted an update on her Facebook page: “There are multiple check points beginning in Beaufort county and they will turn you around. It looks like possibly Monday but use our Facebook pages or the 800 number that Bluffton Police Department keeps posting,” she said.
▪ 8 a.m.: The re-entry hotline: 1-800-963-5023
To ask a storm-related question or to find out the answers to questions that have already been asked, please click here.