The Island Packet and The Beaufort Gazette are receiving a number of questions about when residents can return home, whether their homes have been damaged and whether their neighborhoods have been flooded.
Conditions in Beaufort County remain unsafe.
South Carolina Emergency Management Division is recommending all evacuees stay put for now.
Digital Access for only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
South Carolina Gov. Nikki Haley said in her morning address that evacuees should not expect to be home before Monday.
Beaufort County emergency personnel and local government officials are working quickly and will constantly reassess when to allow residents back home. They will let the public know as soon as possible.
The re-entry hotline: 1-800-963-5023
To find out information about your home, please visit your POA or HOA website or Facebook page.
We are posting information on individual neighborhoods as quickly as we can here.
What we know so far
The evacuation order for Beaufort County still stands. A curfew is in effect starting at 7 p.m. Saturday and ending at 7 a.m. Sunday.
Gov. Nikki Haley is expected to hold a press conference at 6 p.m.
The Town of Hilton Head Island posted:
Beaufort County school is canceled Monday. Read more here.
Debris removal crews are working to clear the Hilton Head Island airport, hospital and emergency operations command center.
The Town of Hilton Head Island posted the following information on its website:
The Town has sent one team to the island to assess what is needed to clear a route to Hilton Head Hospital.
The Island is still experiencing tropical storm force winds and conditions are not yet favorable. While we understand the desire for those on the island to get out to look around, please stay inside as there are no Fire, EMS or hospital services available on the island at this time.
The Beaufort County Sheriff's Office has begun mobilizing their units to start to restrict access to the island.
Please do not try to return to the area at this time. Access to the island will be restricted to perform damage assessment. Even if you hear that the Governor has rescinded the evacuation order, the final authority for allowing residents to return to the Island is the Mayor of the Town of Hilton Head Island.
You can call the Hilton Head Island/Beaufort County Re-Entry hotline at 1-800-963-5023 for more information. Make sure to bring either your photo ID with your local address or a utility bill with your name and Island address to reenter the Island.
For more, go to the town’s page.
Gov. Nikki Haley is calling for patience, and announced that there will not be lane reversals for re-entry. Read more here.
At the Okatie Ale House and the Hampton Inn & Suites just outside Sun City Hilton Head, parking lots show extensive flooding with more than a foot of water in some areas,cars partially submerged up to the bumper and trees down. Many road signs in the area are bent at 45 degree angles.
Bluffton Township firefighters expect to start responding to calls again at noon. The start time is part of a countywide order to allow the wind to pass.
Traffic lights are out on U.S. 278 and several trees are reported down.
Emergency management is involved in phase 1 of re-entry to Hilton Head Island, according to Beaufort County Sheriff P.J. Tanner.
That means fire and rescue personnel will soon be on the island or are already mobilized there.
Officers will also establish a road block at the bridge and other entries into the county, another deputy said, in order to assess damage and calls to dispatch.
From Hilton Head Island Mayor David Bennett:
In the meantime, here are some questions we have been able to get answered so far. For more answers, click here.