The remains of a debris pile that caught fire are expected to continue to smolder for days after Burton Fire District firefighters worked for more than four hours Sunday to put out the flames.
A pile caught fire at Pro Disposal on Bay Pines Road around 4:15 p.m., according to Daniel Byrne, spokesman for the fire district.
When firefighters arrived, they found the fire rapidly spreading across the large pile of timber, which extended over 300 yards in length and was at least 30 feet wide and 20 feet high, Byrne said.
Fire crews from Sheldon and the Marine Corps Air Station were called to assist, and no injuries were reported.
The fire was extinguished, but fire officials expect the pile to smolder due for days.
The fire district will continue to monitor the area, Byrne said.