Crime & Public Safety

Burton house fire claims lives of 4 pets

An early morning house fire in Port Royal forced a sleeping family to narrowly escape with their lives while claiming the family’s three cats.
An early morning house fire in Port Royal forced a sleeping family to narrowly escape with their lives while claiming the family’s three cats. Submitted

An early morning house fire in the Burton community forced a sleeping family to narrowly escape with their lives while claiming the family’s four cats, officials say.

Members of the Burton Fire District responded to the fire at the home on Cypress Street in the Shell Point neighborhood just before 2 a.m. Saturday, according to a statement released by the department Saturday afternoon.

Firefighters arriving on the scene found a car beneath a carport on fire and the blaze quickly spreading to the home.

The fire, which had cut off the family’s escape route, forced the family to climb through a window to escape the flames, the statement said. The sleeping family had been awakened by the home’s smoke detector.

Firefighters were able to get the fire under control in a short amount of time. However, four cats died in the fire.

No other injuries were reported.

Damages have not been determined at this time, the statement said.

The cause of the fire, which appears to have started in the carport area, is believed to be electrical in nature.

Members of the Port Royal and Parris Island Fire departments and Beaufort County EMS also responded to the scene.

Mindy Lucas: 843-706-8152, @MindyatIPBG

  Comments