A Hilton Head man will stand trial Monday on accusations he fired the stray bullet that killed an 8-year-old child playing in his grandmother's yard on the island two years ago.
Tyrone Robinson, 38, is one of three men charged with murder in the Sept. 1, 2012, slaying of Khalil Singleton of Hilton Head Island, and the first to see his case go to trial. Robinson is charged with murder, second-degree burglary and pointing a firearm at another person. The charges stem from a shoot-out on Allen Road with Aaron Young Sr. and Aaron Young Jr., according to authorities.
Following jury selection, a judge will rule on any pretrial motions made by Robinson's attorney, Arie Bax, or by 14th Circuit Solicitor Duffie Stone, according to Solicitor's Office spokesman Daniel Brownstein.
Attempts last week to reach Bax were unsuccessful. Reached Thursday, Stone declined to comment on the trial.
The Youngs' trial dates have not been set, though they will likely go to court in November, according to Roberts Vaux, an attorney for Young Jr.
During a drug-related fight earlier in the day Sept. 1, Young Sr. slapped Robinson's gun; Robinson fired several shots, and the men wrestled on the ground, Beaufort County Sheriff's Office investigators say. No one was hit, and Robinson drove away, but the Youngs drove to Robinson's home on Allen Road to confront him.
During that incident, Young Jr. fired shots into Robinson's car, Robinson fired back, and one shot struck Singleton in the torso, investigators say.
The child was pronounced dead at Hilton Head Hospital, and all three men were charged with murder.
A single trial for the three men was delayed in April after previously unheard recordings of a Sheriff's Office interrogation of Young Sr. surfaced. Robinson planned to represent himself at that trial, though he later requested a public defender.
Robinson is representing himself in a pending lawsuit against the Beaufort County Detention Center and director Phil Foot. In the 43-page, handwritten lawsuit he filed himself on July 7, Robinson alleges he has been unlawfully imprisoned since the end of last year because he filed several motions requesting a "speedy trial" throughout 2013 but did not receive one.
Reached Friday, Mitchell Griffith, the detention center's attorney, said both parties are waiting for a judge to respond to Griffith's motion filed Aug. 5 to dismiss the suit, and Robinson's objections, filed Aug. 12.
Robinson seeks more than $5 million in damages.
"I also demand to be compensated for loss of society, loss of freedom, and all others I am entitled to obtain compensation for," Robinson writes.
Young Sr. and Young Jr. posted $100,000 bonds in June and July, respectively, according to the jail log.
It's unclear whether they will testify during Robinson's trial. Last month, Young Sr.'s attorney, Robert Ferguson, said he would consider a deal in exchange for their testimony, but had not been approached.
Attempts Thursday and Friday to reach Ferguson were unsuccessful.
Follow reporter Rebecca Lurye on Twitter at twitter.com/IPBG_Rebecca.