Students and staff were briefly evacuated from Hilton Head Island Middle School on Friday morning after a school resource officer noticed smoke in the area of the art department, according to the Hilton Head Island Fire & Rescue Division.
The haze was caused by an electrical fire in a heating and air conditioning unit, division battalion chief Mick Mayers said. No injuries or damage was reported and classed resumed by about 8:40 a.m., he said.
Digital Access for only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.