Lightning struck an outdoor grill behind a Hilton Head Island home Friday afternoon, sparking a fire that spread to the residence, according to the Hilton Head Island Fire & Rescue Division.
A 60-year-old man smelled smoke at his Whitney Place home about 1:10 p.m. and went outside to find his grill, a fence and the side of his home on fire, division battalion chief Mick Mayers said. After calling 911, the resident began battling the flames with a hose, he said.
When crews arrived, they extinguished the rest of the fire.
The blaze had spread through the home's walls up to the attic, causing about $21,000 in damage, Mayers said. The homeowner was not injured.
Digital Access for only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
Follow reporter Rebecca Lurye on Twitter at twitter.com/IPBG_Rebecca.