Nine animals died and a firefighter was injured in a fire Tuesday morning near Laurel Bay, according to officials.
Firefighters responded to a call of smoke coming from a home on Oak Bluff Court at about 8:45 a.m. and that dogs were inside, Burton Fire District Lt. Dan Byrne said.
Half of the mobile home was in flames when first responders arrived, Byrne said.
Firefighters went in the structure to fight the flames and in an attempt to rescue the animals. Five dogs, two cats and two hedgehogs died in the fire, Byrne said. A firefighter who fell through the floor suffered minor injuries and was taken to Beaufort Memorial Hospital, a news release said.
The fire was caused by a heat lamp and no one was home when the fire started, fire officials said..
Between the time smoke was reported and firefighters arrived four minutes later, flames had burned half of the home, according to the release.