Local Military News

WWII series features local veterans

The "South Carolinians in World War II" series on ETV seeks to preserve the stories of war veterans. Two of those veterans in the latest installment are from Beaufort County.

Charles Stockell of Beaufort and Dominick Rufrano of Sun City Hilton Head both saw combat in the European theater. Their stories are part of "A New Front," premiering at 9 p.m. May 26 with repeat broadcasts on Memorial Day.

The series tracks the war through the tales of South Carolina veterans. The second installment covers battles in Italy and the invasion of Nazi-occupied France on D-Day, as well as stories from medics and women working at the Charleston Navy Yard.

Stockell, a native of Washington, D.C., was an artillery spotter for the 28th Artillery Battalion. He fought in the Battle of the Bulge and was awarded four Purple Hearts for his service.

Rufrano, originally raised in an orphanage in New York, joined the Army at age 17. He served in the 25th Division and 179th Infantry and fought on Anzio Beach and at Monte Cassino.

Stockell said a film crew led by producer Jeff Wilkinson of The (Columbia) State newspaper interviewed him for three hours about his time in the war.

"I was very pleased and honored to (participate)," Stockell said.

The first installment, "A Time to Fight," premiered last year on Veteran's Day. The final installment will air later this year.

  Comments