The Beaufort County School District will be closed Friday for students and staff, it announced Thursday afternoon after Tropical Storm Hermine strengthened to a hurricane.
Kickoff for three football games matching Beaufort County district schools – including May River’s home debut against Whale Branch – was rescheduled for Saturday, pending a check of fields after Hermine passes through the area. Other contests will send Beaufort traveling to Bluffton, while Hilton Head is at Battery Creek.
Digital Access for only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
In Jasper County, Ridgeland-Hardeeville’s home game against Allendale-Fairfax was set for 1:30 p.m. Saturday.
We will update this list with other closings and changes as they’re announced:
Schools closed Friday
▪ Beaufort County School District
▪ Jasper County School District
▪ University of South Carolina Beaufort
▪ Technical College of the Lowcountry
▪ Bridges Preparatory School
▪ Cross Schools
▪ Heritage Academy
▪ Hilton Head Christian Academy
▪ Hilton Head Preparatory School
▪ John Paul II Catholic School
▪ May River Montessori
▪ Thomas Heyward Academy
▪ Sea Pines Montessori Academy
▪ Holy Trinity Classical Christian School
Government office closures as of 7 a.m. Sept. 2
Other notable closures
▪ Town of Hilton Head Island government offices
▪ Bluffton Town Hall offices
▪ The Savannah and Pinckney Island National Wildlife Refuges
▪ Beaufort County and Hardeeville government offices
▪ Bluffton Self Help
▪ The Heritage Library on Hilton Head and in Beaufort
▪ All Beaufort County governmental offices will be
▪ The Ralph H. Johnson VA Medical Center outpatient clinics in Beaufort, Savannah and Hinesville, Ga.
Sunset Celebration with Cranford Hollow at Shelter Cove Towne Centre is rescheduled for Saturday, Sept. 10.
Forecast (updated 12:30 p.m. Friday)
Tropical storm conditions. Showers and possibly a thunderstorm. Some of the storms could produce heavy rainfall. Southeast wind 33 to 43 mph becoming southwest. Winds could gust as high as 55 mph.
Tropical storm conditions possible. Showers and thunderstorms likely, mainly before 11pm. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 70. West wind 25 to 30 mph decreasing to 17 to 22 mph. Winds could gust as high as 40 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%. New precipitation amounts between a tenth and quarter of an inch, except higher amounts possible in thunderstorms.
Partly sunny, with a high near 86. Northwest wind 6 to 10 mph.
A slight chance of showers and thunderstorms. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 72. Southeast wind around 6 mph becoming northeast after midnight. Chance of precipitation is 20%.
A slight chance of showers and thunderstorms. Partly sunny, with a high near 85. Northeast wind around 8 mph. Chance of precipitation is 20%.
Mostly clear, with a low around 73.
Sunny, with a high near 87.
Source: National Weather Service