A woman was treated for smoke inhalation after the kitchen caught fire at a Burton home Monday night, according to a Burton Fire District news release.
Firefighters arrived just before 9 p.m. to find the fire extinguished and the family, including three children, standing outside, the release said.
Smoke detectors alerted the family to the fire, which started with unattended cooking in the kitchen, the release said. The fire severely damaged the stove and cabinet area of the kitchen.
The woman was treated by Beaufort County Emergency Medical Services, but was not transported.
Digital Access for only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
Firefighters remained on scene for more than 20 minutes removing smoke from the home.