A fire that damaged a Beaufort home and killed a dog June 6 likely started with a stove that was accidentally left on, according to Deputy Fire Chief Clay Scoggins of the Beaufort Fire Department.
The stove ignited books and other combustibles left on top of it, Scoggins said in an email.
Fire spread throughout the South Royal Oaks Drive home, severely damaging the kitchen and adjoining rooms, Scoggins said. The house also had extensive smoke damage.
The home's lone resident was not inside at the time of the fire, but three dogs were, Scoggins said. One of the dogs did not survive.
Digital Access for only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
The American Red Cross provided financial assistance for food, clothing and temporary lodging, as well as referrals to partner agencies for the resident.