We know the story of Jesus' birth in a manger because Mary and Joseph could find no room in an inn. But sometimes in the Lowcountry, the holidays can get dicey when there are too many empty rooms in hotels, particularly for those who work there.
In fact, a 37-year-old man who works in the maintenance department of a hotel chain recently was told about Operation Holiday Heroes by his supervisor after his hours were cut in half because of a decline in seasonal occupancy rates.
Holiday Heroes will help the man provide a Christmas celebration for his wife and two young children, one less thing to worry about until business picks up again.
Operation Holiday Heroes is a countywide collaboration of Toys for Tots, Bluffton Self Help, The Deep Well Project, the Salvation Army, Love House Ministries, The Beaufort Gazette and The Island Packet and United Way of the Lowcountry. Its mission is to assure that every child and family in need has toys and food for the holidays.
Donors can adopt a child for Christmas, businesses can ask employees to bring in one unwrapped gift each, and civic organizations can provide a cash donation.
To make monetary contributions for the purchase of toys and food vouchers, send a check made payable to Operation Holiday Heroes to: United Way of the Lowcountry, P.O. Box 202, Beaufort, SC 29901. Money also can be donated from 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday at the United Way office at 2266 Boundary St. in Beaufort.
New, unwrapped toys can be donated to Toys for Tots and brought to any of the following locations.
- East Coast Marine, 401 Parris Island Gateway
- Love House Ministries, 423C Parris Island Gateway, Beaufort
- Salvation Army, 2505 North St.
- United Way, 2266 Boundary St.
- Lowcountry Insurance Services, 80 Lady's Island Drive
- Marine Federal Credit Union, 819 Parris Island Gateway
- Chechessee Creek Club, 18 Chechessee Creek Drive
- Coldwell Banker Platinum Partners, 1211 Boundary St.
- Jersey Mike's Subs, 272 Robert Smalls Parkway, Suite 340
- Optimal Health Chiropractic, 3264 Ribaut Road
- The Link, 1053 Otter Circle
- Sea Island Animal Hospital, 40 Professional Village Drive
- Bluffton Self Help, 39 Sheridan Park Circle, suite 10
- Weichert Realtors-Coastal Properties, 2 Rose Hill Way
- Jersey Mike's Subs, 1019 Fording Island Road
- Windmill Harbour Real Estate, 3 Harbour Passage
- The Estate of Westbury, 85 Kensington Blvd.
- Beaufort County Parks and Leisure Services, 905 Buckwalter Parkway
- Sun City Tennis Association, U.S. 278, 127 Sun City Lane
- Bluffton United Methodist Church, 101 Calhoun St.
- Carolina Dreamers Car Club
- The Carriage Shop, 17 Buckingham Plantation Drive
- Jai Barber Dowell State Farm, 80 Baylor Drive
Hilton Head Island
- The Deep Well Project, 154A Beach City Road
- Plantation Cafè and Deli, 81 Pope Avenue, suite 14A
- Cool Cats Lounge, 32 Palmetto Bay Road
- Island Automotive Services, 271 William Hilton Parkway
- Island Automotive Services, 4 Palmetto Bay Road
- Jersey Mike's Subs, 11 Palmetto Bay Road
- Dillon Road Self Storage, 159 Dillon Road
- Westin Hilton Head Island Resort and Spa, 2 Grasslawn Ave.
- Sonesta Resort, 130 Shipyard Drive
- Body Works, 2D Mathews Court
- Frosty Frog Cafè, 1 North Forest Beach Drive
- Marley's Island Grill, 35 Office Park Road
More locations are being added daily. For a complete list of locations, go to the Toys for Tots website at toysfortots.org.
Canned goods and nonperishable food items can be brought to:
- Salvation Army: 2505 North St. in Beaufort.
- Bluffton Self Help: 39 Sheridan Park Circle, Suite 10, Bluffton, 843-757-8000.
- The Deep Well Project: 154A Beach City Road, Hilton Head Island, 843-785-2849.
This week's contributions:
- Lowcountry Turf Equipment Tech Assoc.: $400
- All Signs LLC: $125
- J. Gwyn and Joan T. Jordan: $100