Lightning is believed to have caused a fire that significantly damaged a Hardeeville home early Friday morning.
About a third of the house on Stiney Road was extensively damaged by fire, smoke and water, Hardeeville Fire Department Chief Daniel Morgan said. Damage was confined to the living room and kitchen.
No one was injured in the fire, which was reported at about 4:35 a.m. after a neighbor alerted the homeowner. The homeowner reported that she believed the home had been struck by lightning at about 11 p.m. Thursday, but she had not noticed any damage at the time.
Morgan said the strike likely caused a short in the electrical system, which smoldered and led to flames.
Digital Access for only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
The woman was helped by the local American Red Cross, which provided financial assistance for food and clothing, basic hygiene items and referrals to partner agencies.