The free Street Music on Paris Avenue concert series is returning in May with what producer J.W. Rone, executive director of ARTworks, called a "fabulous lineup" with familiar and eclectic faces.
The series is co-sponsored with the town of Port Royal, which underwrites the cost using proceeds from accommodation taxes. Each year typically has two seasons, spring and summer, which cost about $20,000 total.
Town manager Van Willis said the first season is expected to cost about $10,000 this year.
Paris Avenue is closed off during the Saturday night concerts, and residents and visitors fill the road, sidewalks and open space with blankets and chairs. The Shed is used in case of rain, which occurred last year when the Savannah Jazz All-Stars came to town.
"The Shed was so packed we couldn't even get everyone in," Rone said. That group is returning this year.
The concert series includes Grammy Award winners Cathy Fink and Marcy Marxer -- who are best known for their children's music but also play "amazing" folk music -- and Another Roadside Attraction, an unusual group that plays everything from a banjo to a ukulele and peddles mustache wax on the side, Rone said. Angela Easterling and the Beguilers, who also played last year, are returning.
The concerts draw not only Port Royal and Beaufort residents, but people from across the county and even out of state, Rone and Port Royal Mayor Sam Murray said. People appreciate it and ask for it to continue every year, Murray said.
"I think it's something that everybody enjoys, all ranges of people, and it's good PR for the town of Port Royal," he said. "We try to bring in different types of music so all kinds of people can enjoy and get a chance to socialize and mingle among themselves."
All concerts are 6:30 p.m. on Paris Avenue. The schedule is as follows:
- May 18, "The Music of Your Life" by Terry Herron and the Savannah Jazz All Stars
- June 1, Another Roadside Attraction
- June 15, Cathy Fink and Marcy Marxer
- June 29, Angela Easterling and the Beguilers
- Bluegrass trio The Kruger Brothers to play Street Music, Sept. 19, 2012
- Savannah Jazz Orchestra to play Street Music in Port Royal, Sept. 5, 2012
- Zac Harmon to play the Delta blues at Street Music, Aug. 22, 2012
- Street Music summer shows return to Port Royal, May 10, 2012