A fire that sparked in a dryer on the back porch of a Port Royal home spread to the kitchen and the attic Saturday afternoon, displacing three adults, according to the Beaufort Fire Department.
Chief Sammy Negron said firefighters arrived at 2 p.m. to the single-story home on Greenway Court, where the blaze already had spread to other parts of the home.
Firefighters launched a "quick attack" and kept the fire from causing further damage, Negron said. Because of smoke and fire damage, three adults were given temporary housing and other items by the Lowcountry chapter of the American Red Cross.
"The guys were able to save most of the home," Negron said.
Digital Access for only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
Negron said an investigation showed the fire had started inside the dryer. From his experience, he said that usually happens when a lint trap hasn't been cleaned or other debris has been left near the dryer that could catch fire when the dryer gets hot.