Beaufort News

Boy, 1, burned in party mishap

A 1-year-old boy received second- and third-degree burns after he fell into a fire pit of hot ashes during a birthday party Sunday, according to the Beaufort County Sheriff's Office.

The child was airlifted to the Medical University of South Carolina with severe burns on the lower half of his body, Sheriff's Office spokeswoman Sgt. Robin McIntosh said. She was unable to provide information on his condition Monday, but said no charges are expected.

According to the incident report, the child was airlifted from the Grays Hill Baptist Church parking lot on Bruce K. Smalls Drive in northern Beaufort County at about 12:45 p.m. The location of the incident was not released.

The child's mother told authorities the boy had been in his stroller. His uncle told deputies he took his nephew out so the boy could play with the other children. The uncle said he turned around to remove a kink in a hose so he could put water on the fire pit.

The fire had been smoldering all night and did not have flames, the mother said.

When the uncle turned around, the child fell into the fire pit, he told deputies. The uncle grabbed his nephew's shirt to pull him out, and relatives called 911, according to the incident report.