A family of three was displaced from a Bluffton apartment after it was damaged by a cooking fire, according to the Bluffton Township Fire District and Red Cross officials.At about 10:20 p.m., two adults and a child were forced from Hallmark Apartments off Malphrus Road after a fire broke out on their stove, said Capt. Randy Hunter, district spokesman.
Fire crews arrived to find heavy smoke inside the apartment, but the fire had been extinguished by the sprinkler system. The apartment sustained heavy water damage and some smoke damage, Hunter said. No other apartments were damaged, he said.
The Red Cross provided the family with temporary shelter in a nearby hotel and financial assistance to help replace the food and clothing lost in the fire, according to an agency news release.
Digital Access for only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.