A fire that appeared to have started in a kitchen exhaust fan damaged a home on Southwind Drive on Thursday, according to the Hilton Head Island Fire & Rescue Division.
Three engine companies, a truck company and a medic unit responded at about 7:45 p.m. and had the fire under control within 15 minutes, according to division spokeswoman Joheida Fister. No one was home at the time.
The kitchen was damaged by the fire, and the rest of the home sustained smoke damage. The building's sprinkler system kept the fire from spreading to adjoining units, Fister said.
Digital Access for only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.