Beaufort News

Small fires on Hilton Head caused by discarded cigarettes

A small fire Wednesday on Mathews Drive is the third blaze in a week on Hilton Head Island caused by discarded cigarettes that ignited dry landscaping material, according to the Town of Hilton Head Island Fire & Rescue Division.

Firefighters saw smoke when they arrived at Woodlake Villas at about 3 p.m. and quickly doused the fire by prying open a wall where the fire had spread from burning plants, according to battalion Chief Mick Mayers. Four apartments were evacuated, but there was no significant damage to the building, Mayers said.

Small fires caused by tossed cigarette butts also have occurred at the Spa at Port Royal and the clubhouse at the Port Royal Golf and Racquet Club this week.

"We haven't had a whole lot of rain, and we don't want somebody to actually throw (a cigarette) into some landscaping that could get going and burn somebody's house down," Mayers said.

Allison Stice

  Comments