Four-year-old Hilton Head Island twins Brooke and Tyler Young's first time at the driving range on Saturday took an unexpected turn when Brooke needed a potty break shortly after noon -- and spotted a fire outside the clubhouse at the Port Royal Golf and Racquet Club.
The flames were about a foot high near an air conditioning unit at a remote area outside the building when Brooke shouted to mother Julie, according to the twin's dad Robert .
As he called 911 and tossed dirt on the flames, a chef ran out from the clubhouse with a fire extinguisher to finish the job before firefighters arrived minutes later.
The small fire was caused by "a discarded cigarette and some pine straw," according to battalion chief Charles Steedley of the Hilton Head Island Fire & Rescue Division.
Digital Access for only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
The firefighters who arrived on scene gave the twins junior firefighter stickers and a chance to sit on a fire truck, Young said.
"Everybody's safe because the kids had to go potty," Young said. "Their timing was pretty good."