A busy -- and violent -- week for Beaufort-area authorities turned tragic Tuesday with a fatal shooting inside the Subway restaurant in Beaufort.
Officers say a man was shot inside the restaurant at the Cross Creek Shopping Center on Robert Smalls Parkway at about 7 p.m. by a black man who entered the eatery after him, according to Beaufort Police Chief Matt Clancy.
Beaufort County Coroner Ed Allen declined to release the victim's name Tuesday night.
The suspected gunman was described only as black man with dreadlocks who was last spotted wearing a black hat and a white t-shirt, according to Beaufort police.
Police say the suspect may have driven from the scene in a dark-colored Ford Crown Victoria.
Officers were still interviewing witnesses late Tuesday and a crime scene unit from the S.C. Law Enforcement Division was dispatched to help analyze the scene, Clancy said.
The incident was the fourth shooting in less than a week in the Beaufort area, and the second in two days within the city's limits.
Officers were called to the Spanish Trace Apartment complex on Southside Boulevard at about 10:45 p.m. Monday, where they met by an 18-year-old man who said he and a 22-year-old friend had just been assaulted by a group of men, according to the Beaufort Police Department.
He told officers they wanted to fight him and his friend because they were not from Beaufort and the group did not want them there, according to authorities.
The man said one of the suspects, identified later as 28-year-old Jerrod Nathan Taylor, pulled a gun, and the two victims ran.
Though the 18-year-old was not injured, officers later found his friend, who he had been beaten and had an injury to his side that looked as though he had been grazed by a bullet, police said.
Clancy described the injuries as "non-life-threatening."
Police still were searching Tuesday for Taylor, whose address was unknown. He is charged with attempted murder, Clancy said.
Christopher Holmes, 20, of Port Royal was arrested Tuesday in connection with the incident on charges of assault and battery by a mob. He was being held at the Beaufort County Detention Center awaiting a bond hearing.
Officers also are still investigating two other shootings in the Beaufort area during the past week.
On July 19, 17-year-old Joshua Isaac Oliver was arrested by Beaufort police and charged with multiple counts of attempted murder for allegedly firing several shots from a car toward a group of men playing basketball near the Charles Lind Brown Activity Center.
Clancy said Oliver has not said why he shot at the men, but investigators believe the shooting was over a "personal grudge."
No one was injured.
Oliver was being held Tuesday at the Detention Center on $400,000 bond, according to the jail log.
On Saturday, a 21-year-old man shot at two people on Lady's Island after an argument, and investigators still are trying to determine why, said Sgt. Robin McIntosh, Sheriff's Office spokeswoman.
Terrance Morgan of Lady's Island is accused of shooting at a 20-year-old woman and a 20-year-old man in the parking lot of Waterford Cove apartments. Both victims were grazed.
"There really has been no motive established for the argument or events that followed," McIntosh said. "It was basically unprovoked."
The two victims were treated at Beaufort Memorial Hospital and released over the weekend, according to authorities.
Morgan was charged with two counts of attempted murder and one count of possession of a firearm during the commission of a violent crime.
He was being held Tuesday at the Detention Center on a $225,000 bond.
Follow reporter Patrick Donohue at twitter.com/ProtectServeBft.