Beaufort News

Sheldon brush fire destroys mobile home, damages two others

A brush fire Friday in Sheldon destroyed a mobile home and damaged two others.

The Sheldon Fire District was called at about 3:30 p.m. to Bear Swamp Road in Dale, where a resident had been burning trash outdoors, Fire Chief Buddy Jones said.

"It was completely accidental," Jones said. "He thought the fire was out, and apparently, it was still smoldering."

The fire spread to the mobile homes, destroying one. The homes were not occupied at the time of the fire, Jones said. Damage to the two other mobile homes was estimated at $14,000, according to authorities.

No injuries were reported.

The Sheldon Fire District, the Burton Fire District and members of the S.C. Forestry Commission also were called Friday to a brush fire off Haynes Road in Lobeco, Jones said. No homes were damaged, he said.

Citing the recent lack of rainfall and windy conditions, Jones urged residents to hold off on outdoor burning.

"People really have to be careful with this burning," Jones said. "We haven't had any rain in a while, and the sea breezes were really kicking up today. With this dryness and a little bit of wind, it only takes a spark."

  Comments