Beaufort News

Firefighters battle 2 blazes in northern Beaufort County

Two families are being assisted by the American Red Cross Carolina Lowcountry Chapter after their homes were damaged by fires over the weekend in northern Beaufort County, according to area fire officials.

At about 8 p.m. Saturday, residents of a home on the 4000 block of Joann Street in Burton called 911 when they saw flames coming from a neighbor's kitchen window, according to Burton Fire District spokesman Daniel Byrne.

The neighbors, who thought someone was trapped inside the home, kept the fire in check with garden hoses, Byrne said.

Fire crews arrived and searched the home but no one was inside. The fire was likely caused by unattended cooking on the stove, he said.

No injuries were reported. The home was heavily damaged, Byrne said.

City of Beaufort and town of Port Royal fire department crews also responded at a fire at about 1 p.m. Sunday at a home on the 1900 block of Port Royal Drive in Port Royal, according to a department news release.

A resident, who called 911 after a small blaze began outside a neighbor's home, also used a garden hose to keep the fire from spreading, the release said.

Fire crews were able to keep the fire from spreading to the inside of the home.

No injuries were reported. Officials say the blaze may have started after someone discarded smoking materials.

  Comments