Hilton Head man burned in November dies
A Hilton Head Island man severely burned after a backyard fire exploded Nov. 23 died Thursday morning, according to Beaufort County Coroner David Ott.
Jim "Jimbo" Ferguson, 48, had mistakenly poured gasoline into a fire pit behind his William Hilton Parkway home where he was burning debris, according to witnesses.
He died at the Joseph M. Still Burn Center at Doctors Hospital in Augusta, Ga., Ott said.
Digital Access for only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
Ferguson, who did not have health insurance, had several skin-graft surgeries. In December, relatives set up an account at Carolina First bank to help with mounting medical costs.
Ferguson is survived by two stepdaughters and a 2-month-old granddaughter. Funeral arrangements are pending, Ott said.
Observer editor to speak on new urbanism
The Charlotte Observer's Mary Newsom will speak on community-building and growth at the latest meeting of the Congress for the New Urbanism's lecture series.
Newsom is an associate editor, editorial board member, op-ed columnist and blogger who has written about cities, urban design, neighborhoods and the environment for more than a dozen years, according to a news release.
The event, slated for 6:30 p.m. Thursday at the Technical College of the Lowcountry's main auditorium, is free and open to the public.
Information: Call 843-986-9610 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
USCB students to display artwork
Studio-art students from the University of South Carolina Beaufort will participate in the 14th annual Student Exhibition to show their best work of the year.
Artwork will be displayed in the Center for the Arts on the Historic Beaufort Campus through May 27.
An opening reception will be from 5:30 to 7 p.m. April 27. The free event is open to the public.
The exhibition is juried by the USCB studio-art faculty.
Details: Jon Goebel at email@example.com.