Beaufort News

Electrical fire prompts brief evacuation at Battery Creek High School

A small electrical fire Friday morning forced students from Battery Creek High School.

Firefighters from the Burton Fire District were called to the school at about 11 a.m. and found a haze of smoke in three classrooms, according to district spokesman Dan Byrne.

Byrne said students were asked to leave school while firefighters investigated the smoke's source, believed to be a burned-out motor inside one of the school's HVAC units.

The school was evacuated for about 30 minutes. No injuries were reported.