A small fire prompted the evacuation of Hilton Head Island High School students and faculty to the stadium Friday morning.
The fire occurred about 7:40 a.m. when a faulty wire in a vending machine caused a spark that led to the room filling with smoke, according to a news release from Jesse Washington, school district spokesman.
The fire was already out when Hilton Head Island Fire and Rescue Division personnel arrived. They cleared the room of smoke, and students and faculty returned to the building at 9:10 a.m., the release said.
Sign Up and Save
Get six months of free digital access to The Island Packet