A lightning strike bounced around the former Battery Creek High School, now a county maintenance building, causing a lot of smoke, but not a lot of damage.
"We were called about just before 8 p.m. (Monday) to 2900 Mink Point Blvd." said Dan Byrne, spokesman for the Burton Fire District.
"Lightning caused some wiring to smolder, creating a lot of smoke," he said. "But the fire put itself out so we spent our time clearing out the smoke."
It appears the bolt hit an antenna, then a satellite dish and went through a window. It even damaged the sidewalk, Byrne said.
Sign Up and Save
Get six months of free digital access to The Island Packet