Family of 7 loses mobile home to fire

A mobile home where a Hilton Head Island family of seven lived was destroyed by fire early Friday, according to fire officials and the Red Cross.

Family members were burning something on their porch Thursday night, and the material was left unattended when they went to bed about 3 a.m. Friday, according to Hilton Head Fire & Rescue Division spokeswoman Joheida Fister.

Fister wouldn't say what the material was, but she said that during the next three hours it "started to burn the deck and then it went up the outside of the house and burned the vinyl siding and got into the attic."

A family member awoke, noticed the fire and alerted others inside.

"She could see the fire, and she woke everybody up and got them out," Fister said.

The first fire engine arrived at 5:57 a.m., and the fire was "under control" by 6:14 a.m., according to the fire district.

The family was given temporary lodging, financial assistance and personal supplies, according to the Red Cross.

Donations for the family are also being gathered by staff at Hilton Head Island High School, where one of the children is a student.