A 37-year-old St. Helena Island woman who escaped her burning home earlier this month has been released from a Georgia hospital.
A spokeswoman for the Augusta Burn Center said Florence Bradley was discharged earlier this month. The spokeswoman declined to provide the exact date of Bradley's release.
Authorities say Bradley was the only one home March 5 when the one-story home she shared with her five children near the intersection of Saxonville and Club Bridge caught fire. The children were at school when the fire started, according to authorities.
The blaze, believed to have been caused by a pot left unattended on the stove, started in the kitchen and quickly spread throughout the three-bedroom, 1,000-square foot home. It took more than 35 firefighters about 20 minutes to extinguish the blaze but not before the fire gutted the home's interior, according to the Lady's Island-St. Helena Fire District.
Digital Access for only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
Bradley was able to escape and ran to a neighbor's home for help.She was taken to Beaufort Memorial Hospital with potentially life-threatening injuries related to smoke inhalation before being transferred to the burn center, according to authorities.
Attempts to reach Bradley were unsuccessful.
Immediately after the fire, the Red Cross provided Bradley and her children with money to buy clothes and food, said Gordon Robertson, agency spokesman. The amount was not disclosed, and it was unclear Thursday whether Bradley had requested additional assistance from the Red Cross, Robertson said.Bradley's children were expected to live with the woman's sister while their mother recuperated, according to a family member.