Lowcountry crime spree suspect arrested in Ga.

A 35-year-old Burton man was arrested by Savannah-Chatham police Tuesday afternoon after a 10-hour Beaufort-area crime spree that included a carjacking and two armed robberies, authorities say.

Jonathan Trevin Mitchell faces charges of carjacking, assault with intent to kill and two counts of armed robbery. Authorities allege Mitchell hitched a ride from a man at the Kangaroo Express on Robert Smalls Parkway, beat the man with a crowbar and stole his car. Mitchell is then alleged to have robbed customers at two Beaufort-area convenience stores late Monday night and Tuesday morning.

Nelson Piznik, 30, told deputies Monday night he was at the Kangaroo Express when he was approached by a man, later identified as Mitchell, who asked him for a ride home, according to a news release from the Beaufort County Sheriff's Office.

Piznik agreed and the two men left the store in his 2004 gold Honda Civic.

While driving to the Beaufort Mobile Home Park, Mitchell asked Piznik to turn onto Goethe Hill Road from Parris Island Gateway. As the pair traveled down Goethe Hill Road, Piznik said Mitchell began asking him for money, the release said.

When Piznik told Mitchell he didn't have any money, Mitchell reportedly pulled out a small crowbar and began hitting Piznik in the head.

Piznik pulled over on Goethe Hill Road, and Mitchell forced him out of the vehicle and drove off toward Robert Smalls Parkway, according to authorities.

Piznik then contacted police and was taken to Beaufort Memorial Hospital for treatment of head injuries.

He was released Tuesday, according to a hospital spokeswoman.

Port Royal police also identified Mitchell as a suspect in an armed robbery at the Express Lane on Parris Island Gateway at 9:45 p.m. Monday and another robbery at the Kangaroo Express on Ribaut Road at 6 a.m. Tuesday.

Mitchell was stopped by Savannah-Chatham police driving the stolen vehicle and was arrested. He will be extradited to the Beaufort County Detention Center after charges resulting from the Georgia traffic stop are settled, according to the Sheriff's Office.