Sunny Hilton Head Island is home to long stretches of beautiful beaches. Beach regulations are posted at each public access point to ensure a safe and enjoyable experience for everyone. The Beaufort County Sheriff's Office patrols the beaches and enforces all regulations. Violators are subject to fines up to $500 per each offense. The following are prohibited on all beaches:
• Alcoholic liquor, beer, wine
Digital Access for only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
• Glass (bottles, containers, etc.)
• Indecent exposure (nudity)
• Disorderly conduct
• Disturbing the peace
• Unauthorized vehicles
• Fires and fireworks
• Shark fishing
• Removal, harming or harassment of any live beach fauna (sea turtles, sand dollars, conchs, starfish, etc.)
• Removal, alteration or damage to dunes, sea oats, or other dune flora
• Operation, launching or landing of unauthorized motorized watercraft
• Unauthorized commercial activity
• Sleeping on the beach between midnight and 6 a.m.
• Unauthorized wearing of lifeguard emblems, insignias, etc.
• Solicitation or distribution of handouts
• Kites not under manual control
• Stunt kites (10 a.m. to 6 p.m. April 1 through Sept. 30)
For the added protection of sunbathers and swimmers, the following activities are prohibited in designated swimming areas between 10 a.m. and 6 p.m. April 1 through Sept. 30:
• Fishing or surfcasting
• Surfboards, boogie boards, etc.
• Frisbees or other team sports involving a ball
• Games with metal components